Friday, September 3, 2010

dry erase chore chart


This little project combined two of my most favorite things: craftiness and organization!!

Every night, the chatter around our house before bedtime is the same. It goes something like this...

Dad or Mom: Girls, have you picked up your stuff in the den?
Girls: Not yet.
Dad or Mom: Girls, have you taken your vitamins and brushed your teeth?
Girls: Do I need to?
Dad or Mom: Girls, did you put the toys in your room away?
Girls: Do you want me to?

On and on I could go! It doesn't matter how many times, night after night, they hear these questions, they always give us that "blank, deer in headlights" look as if they were hearing it for the first time. I'm sure many of you can relate.

Lee and I wanted to do what we could to minimize the nagging that seemed to be a part of our nightly routine, so that's how the chore chart came to be!

Lee and I made a list (yes, I'm a firm believer in lists!) of the things we expected them to have done before their sweet little heads hit the pillow. I printed the list of their "bedtime chores" on scrapbook paper - fully equipped with pictures for my Ellee girl who is not quite reading yet. Then I added a little decoration with more scrapbook paper and ribbon and put it all in a picture frame. Because of the glass, you instantly have a dry erase surface. I attached a dry erase marker with a ribbon and now they are able to cross the list off as they go! The following day, we're able to wipe it clean and begin again.


I hung this little project on their wall at a place that was convenient for them to reach. Now, all we have to say is, "girls, start doing your bedtime chores" and there is no confusion in what we mean! The girls think it's fun to cross things off the list, too. Hmm...wonder where they got that thrill from?!?

2 comments:

  1. Mindy, I LOVE this idea!!! I will definitely be calling you the day I get my first classroom. You have so many cute ideas for organization! Love you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! There you go again - creating something so cute! Love you all....AJ

    ReplyDelete