Saturday, March 12, 2011

catastrophic prayer



It's not that I don't care.

Actually the opposite is closer to reality.

When catastrophe strikes and when devastation occurs "around" me, I'm one of those people who sticks their head in the sand, and shuts down to my surroundings. I stop watching the news and avoid the updates.

Some say those of us with this reaction don't care. Others say it's wrong because we need to be "aware" of what's going on in our world.

I care, oh how I care. My heart aches and I feel great sorrow for these hurting people whose faces I will never see. I get choked up watching the horrific pictures flash on the TV screen. My thoughts stay on their suffering throughout the day. My mind's imagination can't escape images of their heartache.

Truth is....I don't know exactly how to process deep devastation. Truth is...I'm not sure what to do with the pain and sorrow I feel for the hurting strangers. Truth is...I need large doses of God's amazing grace in the midst of the catastrophe. Truth is...I should follow the simple example of my 5 year old...

A few days ago, we had to pull over on the side of the road to let an ambulance pass. Ellee immediately noted that something bad must have happened. Her first response...pray!! She quickly began to pray for the person that the ambulance was going to "rescue." In true Ellee form, her prayer was sweet and hilarious. She was convinced that the ambulance was going to a fire and prayed that God would let the people and the dog get out quickly that was trapped inside the burning building!

There's a lot to be learned from this sweet child. Although it sounds cliche, God is teaching this difficult student (me!) that my first response to danger, to devastation and to heartache should be prayer.

Truth is...prayer should be my first response to joy and celebration too.

Truth is...prayer should be my first response to life!!

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:17

No comments:

Post a Comment